5 ED-friendly nutrients boosting men’s blood flow and sexual health

Men place great importance on their sexual health when dealing with erectile dysfunction (ED). Various treatment options are available, including oral medications, hormone replacement therapy, vacuum erection devices, and even penile implants or prostheses.

There are several effective treatment options available that have helped numerous men to reignite their sex life. However, in the event of treatment failure, what alternatives exist?

Men may not have considered some unconventional methods possibly benefitting their health, such as consuming foods rich in specific nutrients. This could be a natural and healthy way for men to address the concerns related to ED.

Men who have experienced erectile dysfunction are often willing to consider various treatment options. While no specific food or diet can prevent this condition, certain nutrients in food may help combat it. This is especially relevant as men age and face an increased risk of developing erectile dysfunction.

Erectile dysfunction (ED) or impotence is the inability to achieve and maintain an erection sufficient for sexual activity. This condition affects as many as 30 million men in the United States and is often caused by inadequate blood flow to the penis. Certain beneficial foods for the vascular system can help, as they contain nutrients that promote healthy blood circulation.

To discover which five nutrients will benefit a man’s ability to perform sexually, read on. 

      1. Eat leafy greens and beets for nitrates



Eating leafy green vegetables daily can increase blood circulation. These greens, such as spinach, collard greens, and Swiss chard, contain nitrates which act as vasodilators. This means they help widen blood vessels, improving blood flow.

ED drugs also rely on nitrates to improve blood flow to the penis by relaxing the blood vessels leading to it.

      2. Eat dark chocolate for flavonoids



Dark chocolate with a minimum of 70% cacao content contains beneficial flavonoids and antioxidants to enhance circulation and promote better blood flow. Flavonoids are naturally occurring and can protect plants from toxins while repairing cell damage. In addition, men can benefit from flavonoids as they help lower blood pressure and cholesterol levels, both risk factors for ED.

      3. Eat oysters and other shellfish for zinc



Oysters are known for their reputation as an aphrodisiac, but they also play an essential role in preventing erectile dysfunction (ED). This is because they contain a high amount of zinc, which is also found in other shellfish such as shrimp, crab, lobster, scallops, and mussels. Zinc is essential for producing testosterone, the male hormone, which helps reduce ED. Men who experience ED often have low levels of testosterone as well.

Raw shellfish, in addition to zinc, includes compounds that encourage the secretion of sexual hormones in males and females.

      4. Eat watermelon for antioxidants 



Watermelon is a hydrating fruit with a 92 percent water content. However, the remaining 8 percent has incredible benefits for heart health and sexual pleasure. Studies have shown that this fruit, often referred to as “nature’s Viagra,” may have similar effects to the ED medication Viagra. This is due to the presence of phytonutrients in watermelon that help to relax blood vessels, which can be helpful for men who struggle with achieving an erection.

      5. Eat tomatoes and pink grapefruit for lycopene



Did you know that deep red tomatoes and colorful pink grapefruit contain a nutrient called lycopene? This nutrient improves blood circulation and can even help with ED. Pairing a food rich in lycopene with healthy fats like those found in avocados and extra virgin olive oil, help increase absorption. You could try having a snack of sliced pink grapefruit and avocados or drizzling extra virgin olive oil over fresh tomatoes. In addition to reducing ED, Lycopene may improve male infertility and fight prostate cancer.


Dr. David Samadi is the Director of Men’s Health and Urologic Oncology at St. Francis Hospital in Long Island. He’s a renowned and highly successful board certified Urologic Oncologist Expert and Robotic Surgeon in New York City, regarded as one of the leading prostate surgeons in the U.S., with a vast expertise in prostate cancer treatment and Robotic-Assisted Laparoscopic Prostatectomy.  Dr. Samadi is a medical contributor to NewsMax TV and is also the author of The Ultimate MANual, Dr. Samadi’s Guide to Men’s Health and Wellness, available online both on Amazon and Barnes & Noble. Visit Dr. Samadi’s websites at robotic oncolo gy and prostate cancer 911. 

5 ED-friendly nutrients boosting men’s blood flow and sexual health
Rate this post

Dr. David B. Samadi

View all posts

Add comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *



Twitter Feed

About Author

Dr. David B. Samadi